My First Snow

“Ring, ring…,” the sound of the ringing phone woke me up.

I glanced at the clock - it was almost 10 AM. After being up most of the night with a fussy baby, both me and the little one were finally getting some shut-eye.


“Won’t even let me sleep...”, I mumbled as I got up from the bed.


“At least didn’t wake the baby,” I thought, relieved that my son was still sound asleep, despite the disturbance. I put a pillow next to him and walked to the living room to answer the call.


“Did you see it?” my husband asked excitedly, from the other end of the phone.


“See what in my sleep? A dream?” I asked, now extra annoyed at his dumb questions after disturbing my slumber, which he knew from experience was a cardinal sin.


“Go outside and look. Don't forget to wear your jacket,” he said calmly. Groggily, I put on my jacket, wondering what was so important that he had called me from work. 


I opened the front door and all my anger and annoyance at my husband dissipated. I gasped at the view! It was just like I had seen in the movies. 


My first snow!! 



When we had moved to the US, the thing that I had been most excited about was the possibility of seeing snow.


And it didn’t disappoint.... 


It looked like little pieces of cotton floating down from the heavens, landing on trees, roofs, cars and streets, and in a few hours would turn the entire area into a beautiful winter wonderland, straight out of the postcards.


I ran back to the bedroom with wild abandon, and shook my baby son who was just a few months old.


As I picked him up, he opened his little eyes and gave me an annoyed look exactly like the one I had on my face a few minutes ago, when my husband had woken me up.


I ignored it, put on his jacket and hat, and took him outside with me.



A smile came over the little guy's lips, when he laid eyes on his first snow.


He let out a delighted chuckle as the floating flakes landed on his nose and stayed there, not falling off even when he shook his face to get rid of them.


We put our hands out and let the snowflakes caress our skin and watched as they melted after a few seconds.


When I got more adventurous and tried to catch the falling flakes on my tongue, he mimicked me.


Now it was not just my first snow, it was OUR first snow!!


Comments

  1. It looked like little pieces of cotton floating down from the heavens, landing on trees, roofs, cars and streets, and in a few hours would turn the entire area into a beautiful winter wonderland, straight out of the postcards....Absolutely true, it was an awesome experience for me as well

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for sharing, Sujatha! The first snow is a memorable experience for most people.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on my blog post!
Deepthi

Popular posts from this blog

Glorification of Sexual Assault - Adrian Brody Kisses Halle Berry at the Oscars

My Life at Thiruvananthapuram Women's College

The Great Indian Kitchen Malayalam Film Review - A Lesson in Patriarchy and Poor Communication